Private Pilot License (PPL)

The Private Pilot License allows you to share the freedom of flight with family and friends. You will be able to go on cross‐country trips and fly to places that might take you hours to drive, and have an incredible experience along the way.

PPL Training

Standardization of training and our comprehensive and interactive Daily Ground School are the keys to your success for acquiring Private Pilot License.  Your training will be done in accordance with our VFR Course Manual and PPL Syllabus. These materials are designed to be simple, effective, and easy to read, and they go a long way to increase your confidence and make your training an enjoyable experience.

_IGP5680 - small

Private Pilot License Upgrades

Additional ratings such as Night, VFR Over-the-top, Instrument, and Multi‐Engine can be added to your PPL. The Private Pilot License is also a prerequisite for the Commercial Pilot License.

PPL Prerequisites

  • 17 Years of age.
  • Category 3 Medical – Obtained from an Civil Aviation Medical Examiner

PPL Requirements

A minimum of 45 hours of flight training including:

  • 17 hours dual, including 5 hours Instrument Training, 3 hours dual X-country
  • 12 hours solo , including 5 hours solo X-country
  • A minimum of 40 hours ground school – Including instruction on Air Law, Meteorology, Navigation, and General Knowledge.
  • A Transport Canada Flight and Written Test are also required.

Flight Training Breakdown

  • Stage 1 – Basic Aircraft Handling
  • Stage 2 – Airwork
  • Stage 3– Circuits
  • Stage 4 – Adv Procedures & Airwork
  • Stage 5 – Cross Country Flights
  • Stage 6 – Private Flight Test Preparation

Do I need to pay full program cost up front?

No, there is no need to prepay full program cost up front. Instead, you will pay as you go and be charged by “flight time”. This is the time from engine start to engine stop. The hobbs meter in the aircraft keeps track of this time in .1 hour intervals (6-minute intervals). This article explains why paying full program cost up front may not be a good idea.

What is the Course Duration?

Training is at the student’s pace and convenience. The course has been completed as quickly as 12 weeks as full time.

Course Cost Estimate

The hours in our Course Cost Estimate are not based on the Transport Canada minimums; they are adjusted to reflect a more realistic estimate of the number of hours the average pilot student takes to obtain the PPL. This does not increase the overall number of hours to completion of the Commercial Licence as you will see in our CPL cost estimate.

NOTE: These prices do not include applicable taxes & fuel surcharges. All prices are in Canadian Dollars ($CAD). For conversion rates to your local currency click here.

C152 Dual Training – 40 hours @ $192.00 $7680.00
C152 Solo Training – 15 hours @ $130.00 $1950.00
Ground Briefing – 15 hours @ $59.00 per hour $885.00
Professional Pilot Ground School with Manual $750.00
Ground School Kit $275.00
 Total Fees to Professional Flight Centre ($CAD): $11540.00

Incidental Fees:

Language Proficiency Test Fee $125.00
Transport Canada Written Exam Fee $200.00
Flight Test Examiner Fee $350.00
Transport Canada Licensing Fee $55.00
License AP Fee $75.00
Total Incidental Fees ($CAD): $770.00
Total course estimate for the Private Pilot License ($CAD): $12310.00

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to obtain PPL?

As with length of time to complete the training, how much it will cost will vary student to student. How much commitment and aptitude and whether the student is full-time or part-time are factors that will affect the cost. On average a student at PPFC will spend around $13,000 for their PPL and $21,700 for their CPL.

Do you offer Introductory Flight?
Yes, we offer introductory flights on Cessna 152, Cessna 172 and Cirrus SR-20 aircraft; these flights give you an inexpensive opportunity to experience flying an airplane with a flight instructor. Please visit Introductory Flight page for detailed information.
Do you accept International Students?

Yes, we accept students from all over the world. Please visit International Student page for more information.

How do I apply for Student Visa?
The process of getting an Student Visa is just 5 easy steps! Please visit “How to start at PRO?” section on International Student page.
Do I need to have perfect eyesight?
No, perfect eyesight for pilots is not required; it is permissible to have your vision corrected using corrective lenses such as eyeglasses and Contact Lenses.
Can I work part-time when studying in Canada?

Yes! International Student can work up to 20 hours per week while studying full-time.

Does school offer job opportunities to students?
Yes! Professional Flight Centre provides Instructor and Dispatch positions to both domestic and International students. Please see Job Opportunity page for details.
What's the first step to begin flying?
The first thing you should do is to book a Familiarization Flight (Fam Flight) with us. A Fam Flight is essentially a regular flight lesson where you will be flying under the supervision of a Flight Instructor.

During the Fam Flight, you will be treated just like a regular student pilot. Familiarization Flight is also a good opportunity to chat with a real flight instructor and learn more about flying as a career.

Familiarization Flight can be booked online or by calling or writing to our dispatch team directly. They will help you to book an airplane and instructor.

How do I apply for PPL program or any other programs??
Applying to Pacific Professional Flight Centre is an easy process. Simply submit the “Online Application Form” from Online Admission page and we will get back to you to guide you through the rest of admission process.
Do I need to submit high school grads or college transcripts when applying?
No, high school grads and colleges transcripts are not required for applying to Professional Flight Centre.
Is tuition tax deductible?
Yes, training programs such as Commercial Pilot Licence, Multi-Engine, Instrument Rating, and Flight Instructor Rating are considered vocational training and can be used as a tax deduction.
Does school provide financial aid?
Sorry we do not provide financial aid.
Do I need to pay the full training costs all at once?
No, there is no need to prepay full program cost up front. Instead, you will pay as you go and be charged by “flight time”. This is the time from engine start to engine stop. The hobbs meter in the aircraft keeps track of this time in .1 hour intervals (6-minute intervals). This article explains why paying full program cost up front may not be a good idea.
Does school provide housing/accommodation to students?

Please visit Student Accommodation page for detailed information on housing/accommodation.

I have a foreign PPL from another country. How can I convert it to Canadian PPL?

Here are the information for PPL Conversion. An applicant who is the holder of a Private Pilot Licence issued by another country shall be considered to have met the ground school, written examination, and the flight test provided that they can show a licence and logbook.

To convert:

  • Obtained a Canadian Class III medical or higher. It is important to do this first as you cannot do the written or flight test until you have been issued the medical certificate.
  • Candidate has obtained 90% in the written examination PSTAR.
  • Completed 5 take-offs and 5 landings within the 6 months preceding the date of application
  • Has at least 45 hours total flight time, 12 hours solo, 5 hours instrument time, 3 hours dual cross country, and 5 hours solo cross country.
  • Completed a Aviation-Language Proficiency Test (Canadian or ICAO is aceptable)

The conversion can be done at our school. Once it is completed, the candidate will be issued a licence which will state it is based on a foreign licence; to remove this statement from your licence, the Private Pilot written examination and flight test must be completed.

Can I obtain work permit after finishing the PPL program?

According to Government of Canada, to be eligible for a Post-graduation work permit (PGWP), you must meet one of these requirements:

  • You’ve completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and now have a Canadian commercial pilot’s license, or
  • You have or you are in the process of getting an instructor’s rating, and you have a job offer to work as a flight instructor at a flight training centre.

More information can be obtained from Government of Canada website at here.

More questions?

Please visit our FAQ section that addresses frequently asked questions regarding PPL and Flight Training. Feel free to contact us if you have further questions.